[AgaricShowandTell] *New chat link... Show and Tell with Agaric on Wednesday, June 10th at 11am ET

Micky Metts micky at agaric.com
Tue Jun 9 20:54:33 EDT 2020

Show and Tell with Agaric on Wednesday, June 10th at 11am ET

Online learning... what does that mean? It can mean anything from reading an instructional blog to taking a tutorial a video webinar and anything in-between.

Zoom is NOT the answer. Jitsi is great for small meetings with 5 - 10 chatters and MayFirst.org hosts an instance here: http://meet.mayfirst.org.
No one has the definitive answer, and proprietary platforms like Zoom surpass free software with a gigantic advertising budget. Meanwhile... back on Earth:

Agaric is setting up an online learning platform for a few Boston Public School programs and some small organizations that need a secure way to communicate in groups.
We are using Free and Open Source software to do this: Canvas LMS (https://www.instructure.com/canvas/higher-education/platform/products/canvas-lms) combined with BigBlueButton (https://BigBlueButton.org) video-chat and whiteboard.

We will be using BigBlueButton video chat for Show and Tell tomorrow and we can take a look at the features and discuss alternative video platforms.

NEW Chat link: http://communitybridge.com/bbb-room/show-and-tell/  To enter, use any name and the room password/code: elephant9

Notes from past Show and Tell meetings: https://pad.drutopia.org/p/show-tell
https://hackmd.io/lRgXbI-rTJebqjBYAYwyVg

Send this link to friends that would like an invitation to our weekly Show and Tell, so they will receive the chat link via our email announcements once a week:

*** Format change - Every second week of each month will be a
Cooperative share - topics around cooperative development. The third
week of each month will be dedicated to a technical topic. The fourth
week of each month will be lightning talks, so come and show us a short
presentation or suggest a discussion topic for a 5-10 minute share.  The
first week of each month is up for suggestions if you have something to
share, send a note to the group before the Sunday before the Show and
Tell meeting on Wednesday: showandtell at lists.mayfirst.org

*** NEXT WEEK *** is TECH week
At our next Show and Tell on June 17th, Victor Kane will present on the
subject "DurableDrupal Content Migration Rescue: Escape from the
Monolith", in which I'll explain that "the worst thing that could happen
to us is to replace one monolith with another, and simple,
straightforward ways to not keep our stuff behind paywalls and to keep
complexity mongering to a minimum".

In Solidarity,

Micky Metts
Agaric ~ FreeScholar