[AgaricShowandTell] CloudHaven status

Richard Vann rich at cloudhaven.net
Fri May 7 14:53:51 EDT 2021

A while back I made a presentation about CloudHaven. I've made some
progress since then.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo agreed to develop a React/Material UI version
of the system as the basis for the capstone project for a class of 25
software engineering students. They are about 75% done for this years
sprints.

I also developed a Vue/Vuetify version of the system.

Among many other things, CloudHaven enables development of full featured
Vue/Vuetify UIs that are rendered dynamically from json supplied by
vendor/application "back-ends". It is a great platform for workflow or
multi-vendor composite applications because components can be sourced
from multiple vendors and fused into what looks like a single
application. These applications can also be seamlessly fused into
CloudHaven native collaboration content (or collaboration components
fused into application UIs context-sensitively). This is a bit of an
inside out way to architect applications in that CloudHaven provides for
applicatons the authentication, user management, centralized user data
storage/control and low-level UI component presentation in a kind of
portal that users own. CloudHaven is intended to be a
user/employee-owned (equitably), democratically run organization that is
vendor-neutral.

*From tech perspective:
*
CloudHaven takes the “user entity” redundantly implemented in thousands
of applications and consolidates that into a single entity under users’
control (including basic UI components).

*From users’ perspective:
*
CloudHaven shifts the focus from the application to the user – “a user
is served by many applications” instead of “an application has many users”

You can read more about the project at www.cloudhaven.*net*
<http://www.cloudhaven.net> (not cloudhaven*.com*). There is a Pitch
Deck ppt under "Presentations" that concisely summarizes CloudHaven.

I have other schools interested in using CloudHaven as the basis for
other student projects.

CloudHaven is an open source project under the MIT license.

I would be happy to present the pitch deck again (it's been
substantially refined since the last presentation and has evolved some).

I can also demo an existing prototype of the Vue-based version. The
React based version will also be available shortly on GitHub.

Note that I feel CloudHaven fits in with the values of Agaric because it
in a sense provides a way to unionize all users on the Internet
(eventually...I'm not delusional). Also, I know that this project tends
to centralize data which probably goes against the beliefs of many on
this list who probably feel that decentralized systems are better. But I
believe its not the architecture but how an organization is governed
that matters - I think a centralized system is ok if its equitably-owned
and democratically governed. Its better to have all your eggs in one
basket instead of all your eggs in thousands of baskets. Then you can
fully control who accesses your data, easily update it, etc. for the
lifetime of your data. But I could be wrong. Anyways - I think its an
interesting idea that opens many possibilities.