[Support-team] warrant canaries controversy?

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Thu Nov 24 02:38:13 EST 2016

On 23/11/16 06:52 PM, Jamie McClelland wrote:
> Mallory - I'm not sure what it would mean to have a gag order
> stipulating against a warrent canary? I've never heard of a gag order
> that stipulated that you had to update your canary with incorrect
> information. In any event, Riseup is clearly not doing that!
To clarify, I think what some folks are concerned about is that they
haven't updated their statement on time. They do quarterly updates and
the update is past due.

So the canary is not doing what it's supposed to do exactly. In this
case, there is uncertainty about the canary because we have outdated
information, which is sending a mixed signal.

I'll say it again, bringing such attention to the thing that is not
there totally defeats the point.

-Mallory

--
Mallory Knodel