[Support-team] warrant canaries controversy?

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Sat Nov 26 08:42:12 EST 2016

On Fri Nov 25, Alfredo Lopez wrote:
> In fact, if they gag May First, they are gagging a couple of thousand
> people (because of the way we're organized and consciously so). We'd
> fill a small jail! :-) How would they enforce that one? Who would be
> held culpable? Me? Jamie? But we have no positions except as LC members.
> The entire LC? But the law indicates that a person who orders another to
> break the law is effectively breaking the law and our entire membership
> orders the LC to protect our data.
>
> Now this is interesting! I think maybe we should start talking within
> May First about what we do the next time we get an NSL, which should
> happen shortly after this monster takes the oath.

Yes - starting to pursue options that would allow us to communicate to
our members if we receive a gag order of any kind is an excellent idea.

Fortunately, we have never received a National Security Letter, but we
have received a 6 month gag order (related to the Athens IMC subpoena -
which we publicized after it expired) and could certainly receive a gag
order (NSL or otherwise) at any time.

jamie

--
May First/People Link