[Support-team] warrant canaries controversy?

Alfredo Lopez alfredo at mayfirst.org
Sat Nov 26 16:35:28 EST 2016

On 11/26/2016 04:04 PM, Mallory Knodel wrote:
> On 26/11/16 04:42 PM, Jamie McClelland wrote:
>> On Fri Nov 25, Alfredo Lopez wrote:
>>> In fact, if they gag May First, they are gagging a couple of thousand
>>> people (because of the way we're organized and consciously so). We'd
>>> fill a small jail! :-) How would they enforce that one? Who would be
>>> held culpable? Me? Jamie? But we have no positions except as LC members.
>>> The entire LC? But the law indicates that a person who orders another to
>>> break the law is effectively breaking the law and our entire membership
>>> orders the LC to protect our data.
>>>
>>> Now this is interesting! I think maybe we should start talking within
>>> May First about what we do the next time we get an NSL, which should
>>> happen shortly after this monster takes the oath.
>> Yes - starting to pursue options that would allow us to communicate to
>> our members if we receive a gag order of any kind is an excellent idea.
>>
>> Fortunately, we have never received a National Security Letter, but we
>> have received a 6 month gag order (related to the Athens IMC subpoena -
>> which we publicized after it expired) and could certainly receive a gag
>> order (NSL or otherwise) at any time.
>>

> Should we just add a line to the top of this page:
> https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/legal saying "We have not received any
> government requests for information and we will update this statement
> again in three months."?

Maybe something like that. And I really think we also should have a
convo with some our lawyers about this legal issue. I think May First
could actually play a role in denting this NSL strategy.

See, if we are tough to hurt with a Security Letter, it's another pitch
for recruitment.

I think we should ask the LC to convene a lawyers conversation about this.

Thanks for the thinking on this.

Abrazos,

Alfredo

--