[Support-team] warrant canaries controversy?

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Mon Nov 28 17:10:44 EST 2016

> > Should we just add a line to the top of this page:
> > https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/legal saying "We have not received any
> > government requests for information and we will update this statement
> > again in three months."?
> >

> Maybe something like that. And I really think we also should have a
> convo with some our lawyers about this legal issue. I think May First
> could actually play a role in denting this NSL strategy.
>
> See, if we are tough to hurt with a Security Letter, it's another pitch
> for recruitment.
>
> I think we should ask the LC to convene a lawyers conversation about this.
>
> Thanks for the thinking on this.

I definitely agree that we should investigate ways to get around a gag
order and I also think that Riseup and others who have implemented
canaries are acting with integrity.

However, this experience with Riseup *has* made me question whether a
canary is the best strategy.

I personally fielded several calls and emails from people in a panic
asking me if they need to abandon Riseup immediately and go somewhere
else. Of course, I responded: no!! Stay on Riseup.

Since this kind of thing is new for all of us, perhaps the problem was
that Riseup was not prepared with good communications once the word got
out about their canary? Or, is a canary too blunt of an instrument for
this purpose because it can sow a lot of panic and we should look for
alternatives?

jamie

--
May First/People Link