[guardian-dev] Help please! Human factors of privacy tools.

Carrie Stiens Winfrey cstiens at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 11:45:29 EDT 2013

Hello Bernard!

It's nice to meet you. Below, are my initial thoughts about possible
research areas for you. Perhaps they trigger other ideas for you, or sound
like a good direction. Either way, let's consider it the start of a
conversation. If you'd like to talk face and face, we could arrange a skype
or Google hangout next week.

Best, Carrie

>> Re: Is there a question you'd love to see answered? Is there some area
of a tool that needs some research?

I'm interested in learning how much people (users) need to understand the
security model behind our apps, to be able to trust them. My assumption is
that is varies from person to person—some will want to know the details,
while some will take a trusted friend or organization's word for it. But,
some research on the education needed around security would be interesting.
What does it take (in terms of education) to get people to trust that
they're in good hands?
Also, I watched the first part of the Firefox video. It's quite interesting
how security is starting to become bigger topic of discussion, even for
people outside crisis areas. How security makes sense to a common person,
could be an area to explore. You could really dig into mental models here.
:)

>> Re: but I would like to do some work on an area that could lead to some
useful research/provide input to making these tools better, from a user
point of view.

Research that makes these tools better, in my opinion, comes from talking
with the people using them, and is very specific per project. It's both UI
testing and 'User Research', where you really get to know how an
application fits into someone's life—how, when and what they use it for. So
one approach, is to focus on a specific application.

The opposite approach would be to do testing on multiple apps (8-12+) until
patterns of behavior started to emerge. In that case, general conclusions
could potentially be drawn about which interfaces or elements of interfaces
work well. I'm not sure yet how this fits into the Guardian picture, but
maybe it would be helpful to compare Guardian products with the other apps
people are using for security. It could be like competitive review across
the board to discover what is and isn't working well in different cultures.