[guardian-dev] Moving beyond XMPP

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Sat Dec 7 04:28:40 EST 2013

Hans-Christoph Steiner:

> Right now, I think its a distraction to work on adding protocols.  I think the
> best plan would be first to make it a competitive client to WhatsApp.  We're
> close to that.  Then when we have inline sound and images down and the general
> usability down, then its a good time to add WhatsApp support.  If it just a
> worse version of the WhatsApp client in the eyes of WhatsApp users, then we've
> screwed ourselves.  If its a good replacement with real privacy, then we won't
> lose people on their first impression.

This paragraph echoes my sentiments exactly. In the eyes of users usability and privacy
are equal, so to win users from a different service over, it has to have some kind of
feature parity and comparable usability.

The latest efforts have been largely focused on usability, and I think this is a good
trend to continue for awhile.

~abel