[guardian-dev] Build your own browser: A Maven repository for GeckoView

Amogh Pradeep amoghbl1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 17:06:52 EDT 2014

On 11-Jul-2014 7:25 pm, "Nathan of Guardian" <nathan at guardianproject.info>
wrote:

> (let's keep this discussion open on guardian-dev list)
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Amogh Pradeep <amoghbl1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey n8fr8, so what's it going to be? Do we use fennec or just gecko
view? In my opinion, I think it's better to use fennec, although it's not
going to be an easy task to move the torbrowser patches to it just yet!

> My greatest concern is that Fennec seems to have a huge amount of
features (web apps, marketplace, offline reading, mozilla sync, etc), many
of which are unique to Android. We need to make sure all of that code is
secured, properly proxied, doesn't leak DNS, etc.

Stripping down these features wont be too hard to do, sync is something
that'll definitely have to be removed!

> If we use GeckoView inside of Lightning, we have a much simple browser,
albeit one that still supports tabs, bookmarks, etc.

The only problem is that it'll be too simple a browser. Some of the minute
details that the browser has will be missed out. Also, GeckoView seems to
have a lot less people working on it than the browser itself. Will tabs be
available if we use lightning? Many people want to see tabs.

> Please continue to work on your BUILD write-up, and setting up a new git
repo with the mozilla one as an external git submodule.

Will continue with the build write-up, hopefully we can get that done asap
and replace orweb at least, because I do think that the fennec browser is
better than orweb, don't know about other people's opinions!