[guardian-dev] new UI proposal

Matej Kovacic matej.kovacic at owca.info
Wed Mar 12 08:49:39 EDT 2014

Hi,

last week I took a little more time for testing ChatSecure and I have
some remarks and proposals. Of course, these are my opinion only, but
maybe they should be discussed.

1. No tabs.
I have found using tabs and swiping left and right among them is quite
complicated and annoying. My proposal is that tabs should be completely
removed. There would be a window showing all contacts, and another,
which would shov all active chats. When a user will click to a contact
or open an active chat, new window will open with that chat. There would
be an option to go back (and chat remains active) or close the chat.

2. Showing events inside the chat and reorganisation of a chat view
The problem is that all relevant events are not shown. By my opinion the
following events should be shown (with time stamp):
-- the beginning of the conversation;
-- exchange of encryption keys;
-- verification atempts and results (successfull, unsuccessfull);
-- status of encryption (start encryption, end encryption)

- sender's message should be on one side (left or right), receiver's
message on the other;

- for sending voice messages (and other files) there should be progress bar;
- each mesage and file transfer should have delivery receipt shown and
also read receipt shown;

- long press on a message should present an option to copy to clipboard
or resend message

- where are smileys?

At the top there should be shown contact's name, encryption status and
anonymity status. More at attached file mockup.png.

3. There should be a simple option for editing contacts. Long press on a
contact should set the following options: edit, delete, block, show
encryption key. Editing would include setting a local nickname (saved
only locally, not on a server).
Short press of a contact would start a new conversation or continue the
existing one.

4. There should me a simple option for editing my own profile, status
and status message.

What do you think?

Regards,

Matej