[guardian-dev] Orfox, NetCipher and Psiphon (was Re: Android WebView SOP vulnerability (CVE-2014-6041))

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Sep 19 16:59:29 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 01:01 PM, Adam Kruger wrote:

Ideally we would like to integrate Orfox into Psiphon as our
built-in browser. But it would be a problem if that makes our
apk too big.

Orfox is fracking massive, like Firefox. Mozilla is working on
slimming it down, but I would be surprised if its ever going to
be < 20MB.

It would be cool if NetCipher detects Psiphon and let's the
user use that.

Yup, working on that for some other projects... multi proxy
detect, etc. Will keep you (and everyone) posted.

Right now we don't have a proper interface to query the Psiphon
service to check if it is connected and to get its SOCKS port.
By default we use 1080, but automatically switch to 1081-1090
if we detect that those ports are already in use.

Is there any other interface into Psiphon that NetCipher would
need? Any suggestions on how we would best provide those
interfaces?

Orbot's Intent API is meant to have basic status (on/off), port
querying (socks, http), and the ability to request it to start
up (though NOT to turn off). Most of these things work now, but
we are also improving it in the next few releases.