[guardian-dev] Fwd: [tor-talk] Better testing through filternets

seamus tuohy stuohy at internews.org
Thu Sep 11 09:57:18 EDT 2014

Hey Nathan,

We are working on a very similar topic over here at Internews.

We are looking to use it in trainings to give users a realistic
censorship environment to work against, and possibly use it to improve
testing of censorship-resilient tools.

It looks like we are going to go for a more powerful embedded device so
that we can handle a decent sized training.

I have just started playing with nDPI http://www.ntop.org/products/ndpi/
(a descendant of OpenDPI)  as a netfilter plugin
https://github.com/lefoyer/ndpi-netfilter so that I can do most of the
work in iptables. nDPI already has a detector for Tor, which was a major
factor in choosing it.

Best,
s2e

seamus tuohy | Technology Advisor - Internet Initiatives
stuohy at internews.org
Skype/XMPP on request
PGP: D0DB 168D E70B E627 CFEA 63C3 0F62 4C0A DA72 5695
MiniLock: 2G3JmRWRYB3B7rthZqkzomcRe8GwJvPtSooA748XMsTBdf

INTERNEWS | Local Voices. Global Change.
www.internews.org | @internews